How to help improve diversity within your workforce
As we mentioned in our last blog post, diversity is one of the key trends that will be a focus in assessment this year. Although the concept of diversity has been around for a number of years now, it is important for organisations to keep on top of it in 2017. Recruiters know that diversity is highly beneficial to the success of every business. Today, we discuss several benefits and we give you 5 steps to help achieve fair testing and diversity through your assessment processes.
Human bias is an inevitable part of life but in a recruitment context it needs to be managed very carefully to avoid cases of discrimination. Recent research has highlighted the presence of gender bias when it comes to performance ratings in the workplace. This emphasises the need for objective and structured assessment material as well as trained assessors to take steps to reduce this bias. In order to recruit a diverse workforce, a fair selection process, one that doesn’t disadvantage, needs to be implemented.
5 steps to fair assessment and enhancing diversity
- Run comprehensive, objective job analysis to determine the behaviours and skills that are crucial to the role, ensuring the rationale for the designed or chosen assessment materials is evidence based.
- Train hiring managers to ensure they have a greater awareness of the impact bias can have on their decision making through a selection exercise. Bias is very difficult to eliminate completely but training personnel involved in recruiting can help them, through increased awareness, manage bias.
- Actively manage and test for adverse impact at each stage of the recruiting process. By applying the 4/5ths rule you can track the success rate of any particular group and check it is not be less than 80% of any other group’s success rate.
- Conduct validation research at the end of your selection process to make sure that your assessment materials are delivering a diverse pool of candidates that perform well in the role.
- Ensure there is a process in place to support candidates requiring reasonable adjustments during the assessment process. There is flexibility in online tests and at assessment centres to adjust the delivery of the tests to suit the needs of candidates with particular disabilities.
Benefits to fair assessment and diversity:
By applying approaches for fair testing during your recruitment process, you increase your chances of finding the best candidates for your roles. Focusing on diversity throughout your recruitment process will bring long-term benefits to your company in a number of ways. As well as being legally obliged to prevent discrimination in recruitment processes, improving your approach to diversity should result in improved image and service delivery. Employers who focus on diversity are more likely to be seen as fair and positive and the place of employment will be seen as a progressive place to work, which will attract more candidates in the future.
Possessing a diverse workforce undoubtedly brings a greater variety of viewpoints which can eventually help the organisation in terms of profitability. Most studies on diversity in the workplace have found that for every 1% increase in gender diversity, company revenue increases by 3%.
At TMP, we are dedicated to creating assessment processes and tools according to your values and needs. If you have any questions or concerns about assessment, don’t hesitate to write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will be more than happy to help!